My Story. Shea Gilroy.

Just over a year ago, at our 20 week ultrasound /echo scan we found out our first born child had a heart defect. He had Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome or HLHS for short. Basically this meant the left side of his heart wasn’t forming.

940992_10153359350207703_6769545220336441820_n

 

We were informed that with HLHS, our son was given a 60% chance to live till the age of 10, and of the 40% who don’t make it, they usually pass in the first year of life. There is no cure, just treatment to allow the heart to last as long as possible. One thing they did say that was hard to hear.. that everything they do from this point on would be considered palliative care.

1935800_10153359350767703_1241504084341010086_n
What this meant was that Carrie would have to give birth in Toronto at a high risk facility and once born, our boy ( we didn’t know the sex til’ birth). would then be transferred to SickKids right away (across the street!).

10392209_10153359351567703_3990060634699295705_n
Once born 3 open heart surgeries would be required to allow the heart to function off just the right side. The 1st within 10 days of birth, the 2nd at 5-6 months, and the 3rd at 2-3 years of age.Regardless we knew there was a long road ahead!

1916483_10153359351847703_1437342463222352679_n
So for the rest of the pregnancy we made multiple trips to Toronto (1-2 hrs away, depending on traffic )for check ups on both baby and mom. Carrie was doing great and handling the pregnancy beautifully, and our baby was growing and doing great.. outside of his heart. We were consistently told that we had a big baby…

1929863_10153359351097703_7974984215757630598_n
Well the time came for Carrie to be induced (they wanted to insure the birth happened in Toronto ). On June 16th at 2pm Carrie was induced…. it wasn’t til’ June 18 at 7:30pm that Camden William Alexander Gilroy came into this world… by c-section. .. weighting 10lbs 2 oz! We had a big boy! I called him my Big Little Man!!
At this point my life changed… I now understood what unconditional love was.. my boy was my world!

9192_10153359350322703_637947837828119982_n
On June 23rd Camden was scheduled for his 1st open heart surgery. He was in the ER for about 8hrs, the surgeon came out 3 times to see us.. basically he informed us that it was a difficult procedure and Camden may have a long recovery ahead.

12832385_10153359352067703_4291768979083033457_n
To make a very long story somewhat shorter:). . Camden spent 5 months at SickKids.. all except 10 days of this was in critical care. During this time.. he had multiple cardiac arrests.. was put on a form of life support called ECMO twice… and was assessed for heart transplant… for a time (those 10 days) he was strong enough that he was off almost all his iv meds… because of his improvement it was decided not to list him for transplant and there was even talk of getting him home before his 2nd surgery.
But this was not to be. Camden arrested while Carrie was holding him, the nurse was able to revive him and back to critical care we went.
His heart function was taking a turn for the worst and a few days later Camden was put back on ECMO(2nd time). He was on support for 8 days.. we had a discussion with the Dr’s it was decided to take him off ECMO. .. we were told that they didn’t know how long we had.. it could be hours or days and that at being listed for transplant was no longer an option.
About 11hrs after Camden was taken off ECMO we got the call.. he was having arrhythmia issues and they didn’t think he would last much longer.
Well they forgot that they had a little warrior in Camden! Within 2 days he stabilized and actually got a little stronger!
This was in September 2015.. Camden was listed for heart transplant… we knew we had limited time with our boy… so we made the best of every single day we had with our Big Little Man! He held on for 2 more months fighting through infections /fevers, more arrhythmia, he always had a smile for us… he knew how to give the nurses dirty looks (I think that was the ginger in him!)… he liked to watch his Baby Einstein on the IPAD.. he liked his head massages… he liked to hold my finger.. but most of all he loved being held.. especially when mommy was doing the holding!
On November 22nd his heart started to let go.. we knew that we only had a few more hours with him, we held him as much as we could.. we had molds done of his foot and of him holding my finger… when the time came we disconnected all his meds and respirator. We spent the last few minutes looking at his beautiful little face and our hands on his heart… we felt his very last heartbeat….
November 23rd at 12:50am Camden earned his wings.

11234920_10153359352342703_7021323048730995988_n

Advertisements

About Daddys with Angels.

We began as a group for grieving fathers and men in families, but other family members asked to join us. We now also have a group for Families with Angels dads and other male family members and siblings under 18. We have experienced and live with the harsh pain of loss and we hope we can bring other comfort with what we do, To find us please search for us on face book or www.daddyswithangels.org/. Hugs to you all and floaty kisses to all your angels. We retain the name Daddys With Angels.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s